“On the eve of the 20th anniversary of 9/11, Salam Al-Marayati, President of the Muslim Public Affairs Council, sat down with the top counterterrorism official at the Department of Homeland Security, John D. Cohen to reflect on our national security and counterterrorism approach over the past two decades.“
– MPAC YouTube Content Description
Salam Al-Marayati is one of the founding members of the Muslim Public Affairs Council (MPAC). MPAC describes itself as, “a national public affairs nonprofit organization working to promote and strengthen American pluralism by increasing understanding and improving policies that impact American Muslims.”
John D. Cohen is listed on the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) website as a Senior Official Performing the Duties of the Under Secretary, Office of Intelligence and Analysis. He has a law enforcement, security and academic background and was the counterterrorism coordinator and acting undersecretary for intelligence at the Department of Homeland Security under President Barack Obama from 2009 to 2014. He also served in the Office of the Director of National Intelligence under President George W. Bush.
COMMENTS/ANALYSIS: During the opening segment, Al-Marayati recounts his memory of the 9/11 attacks but fails to mention that he created a bit of a news item when he called a Los Angeles radio program and said:
If we are going to look at suspects, we should look at groups that benefit the most from these kinds of incidents, and I think we should put the State of Israel on the suspect list…
The Investigative Project on Terrorism’s profile of Al-Marayati reports on his frequent defense of known terror groups. Despite this, in 2012 the Obama administration picked him to represent the U.S. government at the annual Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe human-rights conference, known as the Human Dimension Implementation Meeting.
… has opposed almost every counterterrorism action proposed or carried out by the U.S. government, often suggesting that the efforts were aimed at the U.S. Muslim community. MPAC has also acted to support a variety of Palestinian terrorist organizations as well as facilitating a wider range of terrorism by defending or justifying violence carried out by Islamic groups. Nevertheless, MPAC has developed particularly extensive relationships with agencies of the U.S. government including meetings with the Department of Justice and the FBI.
MPAC and its leaders have made anti-Semitic statements that assert or imply an organized Jewish effort to defame and exclude U.S. Muslims from U.S. political life and has engaged in frequent and virulent demonization of Israel including describing Israeli actions at the Al-Aqsa Mosque as a “rape of the soul of the Islamic people”, asserting that the objective of Israeli actions in Gaza was “gross killings of Palestinian civilians, including women and children”, and accusing supporters of Israel of using tactics similar to Hitler’s. In December 2009, MPAC reported that “Israeli doctors had extracted human organs from dead Palestinians during the 1988 intifada and into the 1990s.”
We covered MPAC in MPAC’s Safe Spaces: the Trojan Horse Continues, highlighting how they continually operate influence operations to subvert and compromise government legislative bodies and agencies.
John D. Cohen promotes a main agenda that seems to be a continuation from what was embraced by the Obama administration – the greatest US terror threat comes from extremism from within – especially from white supremacists. He mentions this several times during the above video. At other venues, he has stated that DHS officials are very concerned about other right-wing extremists, including the possibility of violence against Afghan refugees by domestic extremists. Very valid points.
A second Obama agenda Cohen seems to push is what is troubling – an emphasis on appeasement towards the Muslim communities and Islamist groups in the US. While serving under Janet Napolitano to head her agency’s program on countering violent extremism, the Huffington Post interviewed him and in Nov 2011 reported:
Cohen said that in his briefings with lawmakers on Capitol Hill he tries to raise questions about the right approach. “Should we be using terms like’ jihadist’ or ‘Islamist?’” he asks. “What I do is talk in a very concrete operational way. Words are often interpreted differently by different people.”
*NOTE: CAIR’s 2021 Media Guide (page 4) makes mention of how “jihadist” and “Islamist” are frequently misused terms. It’s good to know that a DHS official made an early attempt to follow CAIR’s guidelines.
This type of video discussion risks elevating the legitimacy of Islamist groups like MPAC. At about the 15:27 mark, Al-Marayati starts a discussion of how to dilute the image of Islamic terrorism to “a terrorist is a terrorist”. Cohen replies in depth … risking the weeds and trying to be politically correct. He brings up white supremacy twice, completing the response that we face different terrorist threats today than we did on 9/11. The rest of the discussion touches on Muslim victimization and the benefits of faith-group outreach.
It is quite clear that Cohen is a big supporter of community outreach programs and places civil liberty/rights issues high on his priority list. The flip-side is that DHS has apparently not learned anything from the experiences of the FBI interacting with CAIR.
What’s on the current news radar
Random … CJ related or not
Post schedule: whenever
General Milley’s alleged actions while Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under Pres Trump. Need to blow the smoke out of the way and confirm. This is all based on what is in a book, “Peril” by Bob Woodward.
Guess all is well in Afghanistan and all Americans have been evacuated and safe (cough) … no front page news coverage saying otherwise. Same goes for the southern US “Border Crisis“.
Lawrence Brooks, oldest surviving WWII vet celebrates 112th birthday!
Is there any end to the CAIR and MPAC 9/11 Muslim victimhood campaign?
PA Billboards, “Making the Taliban Great Again“
“While 9/11 was jarring and a historic turning point in our nation’s history, the resolution failed to address state-sponsored traumas to Muslims.”
School Board Member Whose Father Led 9/11 Hijackers’ Mosque Opposes Resolution Honoring Victims
By Luke Rosiak
From DailyWire.com, September 10, 2021
A school board member whose father was on the board of the mosque attended by 9/11 hijackers and hired as imam a top Al-Qaeda operative on Wednesday forcefully opposed a resolution honoring the victims of the attacks.
Abrar Omeish is on the school board of Fairfax County Public Schools, near the Pentagon. She lives with her father Esam, who was a director of the Dar al-Hijrah mosque in Falls Church, Virginia, and hired as its imam Anwar al-Awlaki, who President Barack Obama later ordered killed by drone strike. The mosque was attended by two of the 9/11 hijackers as well as the shooter in the 2009 attack on Fort Hood, Texas.
She said a school board resolution calling for a moment of silence marking the twentieth anniversary of 9/11 was not “anti-racist.”
While 9/11 was “jarring” and a “historic turning point in our nation’s history,” she said, the resolution failed to address “state-sponsored traumas” to Muslims. “Just two years ago, even I was profiled as a threat, in one of the most traumatic experiences of my life,” she said.
That refers to an incident in which she was pulled over by the police for running a red light, then removed from her car for repeatedly refusing to show her license. Video shows an obvious traffic infraction and that the officer could not see her appearance when he pulled her over.
COMMENT/ANALYSIS: Abrar Omeish is a past president of the Muslim Students Association at Yale University, a Muslim Brotherhood front organization. The Islamic Institute of Thought (IIIT) has featured her in podcasts and she is listed as a guest columnist for the Yaqeen Institute for Islamic Research, founded by Omar Suleiman. The Global Muslim Brotherhood Daily Watch reported that Suleiman is a frequent speaker at US Muslim Brotherhood events.
Abrar Omeish is the daughter of Dr. Esam Omeish, former head of the Muslim Brotherhood-created Muslim American Society. He had resigned from his position on a Virginia state immigration commission in 2007, after former Virginia Governor Tim Kaine became aware of a 2000 video where Omeish glorified violent Jihad, telling Muslims in Washington, D.C “that the jihad way is the way to liberate your land.” The Investigative Project on Terrorism (IPT) notes that in 2000, Dr. Omeish personally hired the late al Qaeda terrorist Anwar al-Awlaki to be the imam of the Falls Church, VA, Dar al-Hijrah mosque. According to an IPT analysis, more terrorists have been linked to Dar al-Hijrah since 9/11 than to any other mosque in America.
… focusing on Muslim victimhood tied to the Anniversary of the 9/11 Islamic terror attacks, is disgusting.
On September 14, 2021, the Muslim Public Affairs Council (MPAC) will be hosting a forum entitled, “State of the American Muslim Civic Life: 20 Years after 9/11. MPAC describes it as:
… a timely discussion with Suhail A. Khan and Hamid M. Khan as we examine the reactive measures taken in the post-9/11 climate and their unintended consequences for American Muslims.
Suhail Khan is described by Discover the Networks as a “Covert Islamist who has infiltrated the conservative movement”. He has a long history of working within Republican Congressional offices and held several positions in the President George W. Bush’s administration. Khan is the son of Mahboob Khan, an early founder of the Muslim Students Association (MSA) and the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA). According to a ISNA news item, Suhail Khan has served as an ISNA committee member. In 1999, Suhail Khan spoke at the ISNA conference praising his father, dedicating his life’s work to his father’s legacy and also pushing an Islamist agenda with frequent references to “The Ummah” – political Islam.
From The Global Muslim Brotherhood Daily Watch, regarding MPAC:
The Muslim Public Affairs Council (MPAC) was established originally in 1986 as the Political Action Committee of the Islamic Center of Southern California whose leaders had backgrounds suggesting they were associated with the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood. A 1989 US Muslim Brotherhood document introduced as evidence in the Holy Land Foundation terrorism financing trial refers to the last name of one of the MPAC leaders, Mather Hathout, in a list of “Islamic Centers and Groups in the field.”
MPAC has since developed into the political lobby arm of the U.S. Muslim Brotherhood and has opposed almost every counterterrorism action proposed or carried out by the U.S. government, often suggesting that the efforts were aimed at the U.S. Muslim community. MPAC has also acted to support a variety of Palestinian terrorist organizations as well as facilitating a wider range of terrorism by defending or justifying violence carried out by Islamic groups. Nevertheless, MPAC has developed particularly extensive relationships with agencies of the U.S. government including meetings with the Department of Justice and the FBI.
COMMENT: The continued media events by groups such as MPAC and CAIR, focusing on Muslim victimhood tied to the Anniversary of the 9/11 Islamic terror attacks, is disgusting. To hijack the memory of almost 3,000 souls that were murdered, speaks volumes of the cold and calculated agenda behind these campaigns.
The original essay below is from 2013, 12 years after the 9/11/2001 Islamic terror attack. It focused on the anger I felt. I republished it again a year later. I was still angry. I’m writing this on the eve of the 20th anniversary of the Islamic terror attacks on America. My anger is still there but it is accompanied by a growing disgust.
The loud and true cries of “never forget” have become distant echoes from the past, as 9/11 is referred to with non-threatening terms. I want to shake the “woke” and ever increasing politically correct crowd and shout that 9/11/2001 was when America suffered the largest terror attack in history. It was not just a “fateful day”. On that day almost 3,000 people were murdered by Islamic terrorists. They did not just “lose their lives”.
The visions I saw 20 years ago are as clear today as they were then.
I will relive the horror tomorrow.
I will never forget,
– CJ Ed.
Twelve Years Later … anger
From: Cultural Jihad – Published on: Sep 11, 2013 @ 9:15
“… an anger in knowing that those that attacked us on September 11, 2001 are realizing success in reaching their goals.”
It has been twelve years and as I sit and watch scenes from September 11, 2001, I feel anger.
An anger towards those that attacked my country. While the media focuses on ceremonies involving wreath laying and speeches at various memorials, the live footage of people jumping to their deaths from the Twin Towers remains fresh in mind.
Anger at those that supported the attacks. Foreign Islamist organizations and, specifically, the groups and mosques in the U.S. that provided logistical support to the Islamic terrorists that hijacked the aircraft and killed the thousands of souls in the name of Islam.
Anger at those that wish to sanitize what happened and whitewash history. We were attacked that day by Islamic terrorists as part of an Islamic jihad. News coverage of the “remembrance” makes no mention of this or even Al-Qaeda – we were simply attacked by generic terrorists. The anger builds listening to the politicians giving memorial speeches that never mention those responsible for the heinous attacks that shook this great nation. Somehow these politicians feel that “looking forward” and rebuilding will make us better Americans. They are sadly mistaken.
Anger toward those that seek appeasement. Whether it is the removal of training materials that Muslim’s find offensive or the inclusion of our enemies on government advisory boards, it is an anger in knowing that those that attacked us on September 11, 2001 are realizing success in reaching their goals.
My anger serves a purpose – I will never forget what happened that day.
A 3 part series focusing on how US Islamists were able to flip the 9/11 terror attacks into a long term political win
“Some people did something”
In part 1 of this series, a planted seed was identified as the result of the September 11, 2001 Islamic terror attacks. A seed allowing for a theme of Muslim victimization as part of America’s response. Part 2 highlighted how Islamist special interest were able to leverage political correctness, themed around the victimhood narrative, to make great inroads into the country’s policy decision process at all levels. In this final part (3) we’ll look at how the Islamists are stomping on the bodies of all those killed during the attacks as a booster to flip the focus towards Muslim interests and maintain/gain political clout.
The 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks is tomorrow. Time tends to dilute the impact of events. While the cry of “never forget” has stayed with us, the substance of what we are supposed to remember seems to revolve around a “fateful day”, the sacrifices of 1st Responders and “those that lost their lives.” The media, and much of the general public, seldom mention the actual event that caused the sacrifices and the deaths of almost 3,000 souls – an attack by Islamic terrorists.
This year we are being subject to a media blitz of stories and reports focusing on how Muslims in America have suffered since 9/11. Major news media outlets have bought into this narrative, replacing and dishonoring all those killed with spoon fed personal interest stories of Muslim’s being bullied, living in fear and suffering hate crimes.
A small sampling:
Two decades after 9/11, Muslim Americans are still fighting bias – Chicago Tribune 9/7/2021 (AP news feed)
Muslim Americans still facing discrimination 20 years after 9/11 – NBC 9/7/2021
Muslim youth in America: A generation shadowed by the aftermath of 9/11 – LA Times 9/3/2021
These stories have the fingerprints of a concerted effort by Muslim Brotherhood/Islamist groups, like the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), to manipulate the national psyche. The fear of being labeled an Islamaphobe is approaching that of being labeled a racist.
CAIR’s plans for remembering the 20th anniversary of 9/11?
CAIR to Host DC Press Conference Marking 20th Anniversary of September 11, 2001, Detail Results of Nationwide American Muslim Survey – On Friday, September 10, the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), the nation’s largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization, plans to host a press conference at its national headquarters in Washington, D.C., to mark the anniversary of the September 11, 2001, attacks and to discuss the results of its nationwide survey of American Muslims about their perspectives and experiences over the past twenty years.
At the news conference, a Maryland-based Muslim family that has reportedly been targeted for anti-Muslim bigotry in numerous incidents in the lead-up to the anniversary of 9/11, will discuss their experience and perspectives. CAIR will call on Maryland law enforcement authorities to investigate the incidents as possible hate crimes.
It would be much easier to sympathize with all this if not for the fact that since 9/11, Islamic advocacy groups such as the Hamas-linked Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), with eager help from the establishment media, have insisted that any honest investigation of the motivating ideology behind the attacks, and jihad terror in general, constituted “hate.” Then there are the numerous fake anti-Muslim hate crimes, fabricated apparently in order to buttress the claim that Muslims are uniquely harassed and victimized in the United States.
The facts don’t bear out this claim. FBI hate crime statistics show that anti-Semitic hate crimes are far more common than attacks on Muslims, which actually dropped 42% in the last year. No hate crime is justified, but the idea that Muslims are living in fear of MAGA-hat-wearing redneck vigilantes in America is Leftist fantasy.
Our Youth – Manipulating the Minds of Future Generations
With it being 20 years since the 9/11 attacks, we have several generations that did not personally experience the horror and the truth of what happened. How they view the event is extremely dependent on how they learn about it. CAIR has also worked on manipulating the narrative for children by targeting schools. Their school resource guide, Remember and Reflecting – Teaching September 11, 2001 in Diverse Classrooms features a number of items for educators to use. The vast majority emphasizing how Muslim’s have “suffered”.
Some of the recommended titles:
- How 9/11 Shaped the Lives of American Muslims
- Minorities targeted in 9/11 ‘revenge attacks
- 9/11 Changed Life For American Muslims
- Post 9/11 Detention Of American Muslims
- Commemorate 9/11 by Confronting Islamophobia
- 9/11 at 10: Lessons Learned From Anti-Muslim Haters
- Hope and Despair: Being Muslim in America After 9/11
- How 9/11 Caused An Increase In Islamophobic Hate Crimes
- .. and more
The other resources listed do not have titles with obvious agenda themes, but all tend to either lean towards “whitewashing” the actual facts of the attack (i.e. not mentioning al Qaeda or Islamic terrorists) or highlighting Muslim victimhood following 9/11.
In the years to come, don’t be shocked if 9/11 is simply described as “some people did something“.
COMMENTS: Chances are at some time over the next few days, the discussion of 9/11 will come up. When you interact with others about it, listen carefully. Are they choosing their words to carefully be politically correct/woke? Are they making great efforts to avoid the 900lb gorilla in the room regarding 9/11 – Islamic terror? Are you? If so, then why? If people are avoiding the facts about 9/11 because of a feeling of guilt, the Islamists have certainly made another gain.
If you are a parent or grandparent MAKE SURE your children know what really happened.
Side note: In researching this series, I had to make an effort of staying focused on the available facts and not venture down a head spinning rabbit hole of mind boggling conjecture and conspiracies. Thought I’d plant my own seed here and let the reader decide if it is even worth considering or connecting the dots …
- CAIR partially funded by the Saudi Wahhabi establishment
- Most of 9/11 terrorists were Saudi
- Several Saudi’s in the US met with or provided support to identified 9/11 terrorists
Verified investigative and court records have confirmed that Islamist groups in North America have run fund raising operations to support Islamic terror activities. These acts range from such things as using children and women as suicide bombers, beheadings, embassy bombings to having grade school classroom instruction on “how to kill the Jew”. These are things that many in the Western world simply can’t grasp or think possible – impossible concepts like flying airplanes into buildings and killing almost 3000 people. I’ll leave you with one question: To what extent would Islamists in North America act in order to further their cause and agendas?
A 3 part series focusing on how US Islamists were able to flip the 9/11 terror attacks into a long term political win
Western idealogical conflict with Political Correctness
Cancel Culture, Woke, Political Correctness … terms and concepts that when wielded properly can have a significant impact on western societies that promote free thought, fairness and especially inclusiveness.
In part 1 of this series, a “seed” was identified that grew to allow Islamists in the US to leverage the tragedy of the 9/11 terror attacks to their advantage by pushing a Muslim victim narrative.
U.S. Muslim Brotherhood front organizations such as ISNA, MPAC, and CAIR, have followed the Projects’ blueprint by accessing high-level political circles of the U.S. government since the mid-1990s, gaining political legitimacy during the Clinton Administration. Islamist groups mastered the art of coalitions by employing the tactic of repackaging themselves as “reformists” while excluding the U.S. Muslim mainstream.
The 9/11 Islamic terror attacks provided an opportunity to greatly multiply their efforts. Three interesting trends developed following the attacks:
- American Muslims’ fears of religious bigotry (realized or not) drew them to find support from the myriad of Islamic special interest groups – increasing such groups voice, bank accounts and influence. The vast majority of these groups are guided by Islamist leaders affiliated with the Muslim Brotherhood.
- Many American Muslims who had lived what is best described as secular lives prior to 9/11, embraced Islam and became readily identifiable in their communities.
- An increased interest in Islam by non-Muslims
CAIR is probably the most visible of the Islamist PR operations and has led the “Islammaphobia” charge to highlight and publicize Muslim “victimhood” cases. While there are certainly incidents of valid crimes committed against Muslims, CAIR has a history of pushing falsehoods if they can support their agenda – something they do quite well. In a March 19, 2019 commentary by Michelle Malkin she wrote:
Never forget: CAIR officials in California rushed in front of cameras after the San Bernardino jihad attack in 2015 to blame American foreign policy instead of the killers. CAIR provided aid, comfort and legal assistance to the mass shooters’ families.
Never forget: Last summer, CAIR stoked a fake hate crime perpetrated by an Odessa, Texas, waiter who falsely claimed he received a customer’s receipt with the message: “We don’t tip terrorist.”
Never forget: CAIR disseminated the fake claims of a deranged Muslim New York teenager who lied about having her hijab ripped off by Trump supporters.
Never forget: CAIR helped manufacture the “Clock Boy” fake hate claim in Texas — after which, Clock Boy jetted off to Qatar to cash in on a Muslim Brotherhood-linked educational scholarship.
Never forget: CAIR has flexed its censorship muscle by squelching critics of Somalia-based jihad group al-Shabab in Minnesota and smearing them as “anti-Muslim” — even if they were Muslim.
Never forget: CAIR works every day to silence Muslim reformers, apostates, Christians, Jews, infidel scholars, border security advocates, anti-sharia activists and investigative independent journalists, on college campuses, TV airwaves and the internet, to prevent us from exposing the truth about Islamic supremacism.
While CAIR molded the mainstream media image, Islamic community leaders, along with special interest groups, pressed the narrative that only “Muslims can truly understand other Muslims” to officials and politicians. They pushed the concept that by including Muslim leaders as part of advisory councils, boards and working groups, the needs of the Islamic community could be better understood. Their peddled logic: Muslim leaders would be the best deterrent against Islamic extremism. These leaders were appointed to advisory positions with major corporations and at local, state and federal government agencies at an increased rate. As we noted in Islamist Propaganda – at taxpayers expense:
Following September 11, 2001 corporations and government organizations stepped up training programs to educate employees regarding Islam and the American Muslim communities. The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), along with local affiliated groups, quickly pushed for inclusion to place sympathetic individuals on advisory boards. The selling point being that only “good” Muslims can provide guidance on how to counter the threat posed by ”bad” Muslims.
For law enforcement and security entities, there was a move on the other side the spectrum to provide operational training to help personnel recognize and deal with extremist threats. These programs were presented by a variety of sources and usually included a level of profiling that many American Muslim leaders found offensive. Pushing the “political correctness buttons”, CAIR and the Muslim Public Affairs Council (MPAC) campaigned to have any training/educational items they deemed offensive purged and replaced with programs they endorsed.
For New York City, considered “ground zero” for the attacks, MPAC’s Safe Spaces: the Trojan Horse Continues noted:
The author of the “Safe Spaces Tool Kit” is Alejandro J. Beutel – the lead face in MPAC’s organized effort to move U.S. law enforcement towards a community oriented policing model that effectively allows the Muslim community to control the direction taken. Mr. Beutel was a critic of the NYPD surveillance program that targeted New York City area mosques – the program was stopped this month.
In 2012, CAIR Florida attempted to have the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) block training provided to agencies throughout the state, citing that it was teaching “anti-Muslim bigotry“. In reality, the seminars were providing police officers and investigators practical tools and intelligence to help recognize and deal with Islamic jihadist threats at the street level. FDLE rejected CAIR’s position.
The Islamist political influence regarding homeland security became so great under the Obama administration that there was actually a purge of U.S. counter-terrorism training material that might be “offensive” to Muslims. A Mar 26, 2014 report by Patrick Poole highlighted:
… a series of policies established by the Obama Administration during 2011-2012 that effectively neutered FBI counter-terrorism training and blinded our nation’s intelligence agencies to the threat from Islamic terrorism.
In what some experts have termed a hostile “political warfare campaign” driven by an alliance between the administration, Islamic organizations and cooperating media figures, analysts and subject matter experts were blacklisted, and books and training materials were purged from official counter-terrorism training programs government-wide.
This “purge” has contributed to clues being missed by the FBI in major terrorism cases, including last year’s bombing of the Boston Marathon..
As an example of Islamists influencing U.S. foreign policy our report, U.S. Muslim Brotherhood Likely Influenced Senate Defense Bill, highlights the 2014 efforts of Muslim Brotherhood operatives lobbying Congress to provide equipment, training, supplies, and defense services to assist vetted members of the Syrian opposition. Of note:
Syrian Emergency Task Force (SETF) – composed of Syrian American professionals from across the United States. SETF Director Mouaz Moustafa facilitated Sen. John McCain’s May 2013 trip to Syria. The GMBDW reported that of seven board members named, four are known to have a history of close ties to the US Muslim Brotherhood.
IN PART 3: Islamists efforts to control the narrative and maintain damage control over the 9/11 Islamic terror attacks.
COMMENTS: With all the concessions made to the U.S. Muslims, it would seem that they make up a significant part of the population. In reality, Muslims make up about 1% of the U.S. population (same as Buddhists) and less than Jews (2%) and even Atheists (3%). The lobbying efforts and media manipulation has been extremely effective in molding our perception, giving the impression that their numbers are greater than they really are. In 2016 NBC reported that Most Americans Overestimate Muslim Population by 17X.
A 3 part series focusing on how US Islamists were able to flip the 9/11 terror attacks into a long term political win
What went through your mind when the planes struck the Twin Towers?
For those of us that witnessed the horrific terror attack of the Twin Towers World Trade Center on Tuesday, 9/11/2001 it was probably a mix of shock and anger. With reports of the first plane striking the north tower at 8:45AM (eastern) near the 80th floor, most thought a terrible accident had occurred.
Eighteen minutes later, a second aircraft flew into the south tower and it became clear that America was under an attack. A third aircraft smashed into the Pentagon at 9:45AM (eastern). A fourth aircraft crashed into a field in Pennsylvania at 10:10AM (eastern) – passengers had managed to overpower the hijackers, preventing it from striking another target.
The nation was glued to the developing news reports/video and watched in absolute horror as people fell from the towers prior to their collapse. In the days to follow those responsible for for the attacks were identified as members of the Islamic terror group,al Qaeda.
This marked the deadliest terror attack in world history with the initial death reports of almost 3,000. Thousands more would be added to the toll as a result of medical complications related to the attack. Twenty years later, the victims are still being identified.
On September 7, 2021, Hour Detroit Magazine asked Michigan leaders to “recall their thoughts and actions on that tragic day.” Most shared their memories of what they saw, but the response from Dawud Walid, Executive director of the Michigan chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) provided a different focus:
“The tragedy of 9/11 was doubly impactful for metro Detroit Muslims than for those of other faiths in my view. Our community experienced the FBI going door to door in Dearborn questioning Muslim residents. We saw deportations of family members and friends as a result of a government registration program which targeted men from Muslim majority countries. We have had our houses of worship infiltrated by FBI informants and have had to struggle to establish houses of worship and Islamic schools. I am proud of our community’s resiliency. We have grown in the past two decades not simply in numbers but in influence. Muslims have been elected throughout our region based upon their merits and not disqualified at the polls due to their faith. I am hopeful that despite the targeting of our community that things will continue to improve for us as long as we stay principally engaged and continue to live the beauty of our faith principles.”
Ten years ago, San Diego State University’s KBPS featured an interview segment, “9/11: San Diego Muslim Community Remembers“, that included Imam Taha Hassane, Imam and Director of the Islamic Center of San Diego (see comments below). Hassane was asked, “Since coming to San Diego, what have you learned about the initial reaction of San Diegans to the Muslim community right after the attacks of 911?” and replied with:
“I have heard that there were both things, some of them are positive, some of them are negative. Maybe the negative things that happened around the Islamic center of San Diego, and a few other mosques here is that people driving by and screaming and throws some stuff like eggs and so on. A few attempts to vandalize the property. A few harassments here and there, especially against Muslim women because they are more visible with their hijab, which means head scarf. But also I have heard some positive things that happened. Some of our non-Muslim neighbors who reached out to the Islamic center right after the tragedy of 911, some of the official elected — elected official people from the City Council, also some of our interfaith partners from other different faiths who reached out to the Islamic center, showing support, sympathy, and spending time with their Muslim neighbors over there because they knew what Muslims are going through, and they will be going through during their future faith.”
The follow-up question to Hassane was, ” What were they going through? Speaking of the Islamic community in San Diego, what was the feeling after the terror attacks? What did the community talk about?” and he stated:
“Everybody was scared at the time because they had expected what will happen to them. Islam was under attack, Muslims were under attack at that time, many of my community members experienced some types of harassment and abuse just because they look like middle eastern or south Asians. They have different attire, they go to different house of worship and so on. So some of them experienced very hard time. Hearing some statements from other people, go back home, you know, you don’t belong to here, and so on. But in general, in general, we can say that what we have experienced is less than we have expected, looking at, you know, the magnitude of the tragedy of 911.”
The comments regarding a backlash towards Muslims is understandable. If the attack had been conducted by the Amish, Jews or Buddists in the name of their respective religious ideology, they would have most likely voiced similar concerns.
What stands out is that these two Muslim leaders highlight images of Muslims being victims in response to what happened on 9/11/2001 instead of the horror of the actual terror attacks. This should not overshadow the strong condemnations that Muslim/Islamic groups made immediately following the terror attacks. They were numerous and were world-wide.
The comments point to a seed that was planted on 9/11/2001. One that established a theme of Muslim victimhood, used as the base for political growth of Muslim Brotherhood umbrella groups to influence U.S. domestic and foreign policies.
IN PART II: US Islamist groups use the theme of 9/11 Muslim victimhood as a powerful “politically correct” tool to further their agendas.
COMMENTS: From the Investigative Project on Terrorism: Two of the 9/11 hijackers, Khalid al-Mihdhar and Nawaf al-Hazmi, had close ties with members of the Islamic Center of San Diego. In fact, mosque members helped the two men find an apartment in San Diego, obtain Social Security numbers and driver’s licenses, buy a car, and obtain funds from Khalid Sheikh Mohammed’s nephew through the Islamic Center of San Diego administrator’s bank account.
US Muslim Brotherhood Group Publishes Journalist’s Guide To Reporting On Muslims — Global Influence Operations Report
From: Global Influence Operations Report
Date: August 31, 2021
In late August 2021, the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) published a 17-page “Journalist’s Guide to Reporting on Islam and Muslims,” purportedly designed to give journalists and other media professionals the tools to gain a “better understanding of Islam” and to give a nuanced representation of American Muslims and their faith. 364 more wordsUS Muslim Brotherhood Group Publishes Journalist’s Guide To Reporting On Muslims — Global Influence Operations Report
COMMENTS/ANALYSIS: This guide is simply part of the continuing efforts of CAIR and other Muslim Brotherhood umbrella groups to control the narrative of how media covers/reports on their activities. There has been a concentrated effort to change, wipe and bury the historical record in order to make Islam more palatable to the Western mindset. A few journalists may embrace this guide as part of their virtue signalling path to self-enlightenment, but the claim that “jihadist” is a “fictional English term” (i.e. having no basis in fact) should be enough for any critical thinker to understand CAIR is once again trying to blow smoke up our collective posteriors. Maybe the term “terrorist” means peacemaker? Let’s also introduce the term “gaslighting” into the efforts of CAIR’s PR campaigns.
The Islamic Society of North American (ISNA) will hold it’s 58th Annual convention this year as a virtual format, September 4-5. ISNA is one of the largest and most influential Islamist umbrella groups associated with the Muslim Brotherhood network in the United States.
This year’s convention is sponsored by:
- The International Institute of Islamic Thought (IIIT) – The IIIT was founded in 1980 by U.S. Muslim Brotherhood/ISNA leaders to promote the Islamization of Knowledge as conceived by Ismail Al-Faruqi. A 1991 internal document of the US Muslim Brotherhood, introduced as evidence in the Holy Land Foundation trial, included IIIT in “a list of our organizations and organizations of our friends.” IIIT was associated with the now defunct SAAR Foundation, a network of Islamic organizations located in Northern Virginia that was raided by the Federal government in March 2002 in connection with the financing of terrorism. (cite: The Global Muslim Brotherhood Daily Watch)
- United Mission for Relief and Development (UMR – formally United Muslim Relief) – United Mission for Relief & Development (UMR) is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that describes itself as “focused on providing disaster relief and recovery services to the underserved both domestically in the U.S. and internationally across the globe.” The organization was launched by the Muslim Students Association at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia. The current UMR President and CEO is Dr. Abed Ayoub, former CEO of Islamic Relief USA (IR-USA), a powerful charity with links to Hamas. In 2014, MoneyJihad reported, “While he was CEO of IR-USA, Ayoub presided over a period of falsely inflated growth for the well-known Islamic charity. By grossly misstating the value of deworming drugs, IR-USA gave the appearance of having over received over $160 million in donations in 2010. When it used corrected valuation techniques in 2011, IR-USA reported contributions of only $60 million. The fraudulent bookkeeping of 2001-2010 enabled IR-USA to attract larger institutional donors than it otherwise would have, along with political endorsements from top Democrats and partnerships with federal agencies.“
- Indian Muslim Relief & Charities (IMRC) – A nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization which began in 1981 that focuses on “assessing the needs of Muslims and minorities in poverty struck areas of India and develop projects based on their needs.”
- Guidance Residential – A leading US provider of Sharia-compliant home financing with over $2 billion in home financings. It is a subsidiary of Guidance Financial Group, an international company dedicated to serving the market for Sharia-compliant financial products and services. Guidance Financial Group offers unique investment products to institutional investors and financial intermediaries worldwide, and provides financial services to its retail customer base in the United States. (cite: Money Jihad)
Scheduled speakers include most of the usual cast that follow the Muslim Brotherhood conventions and speaking circuit. A few of the notable ones:
- Magda Elkadi Saleh – Current ISNA vice-president and the daughter of former U.S. Muslim Brotherhood leader, Ahmed Elkadi. She has been involved in the administration of Islamic schools since 1992, serving as Vice Principal and then Principal at Universal Academy of Florida (UAF) from 1992 – 2003. Saleh was the founding Principal of the Muslim children’s school, American Youth Academy (AYA), and was with AYA from 2004 to 2015*. Saleh is the current head of Bayaan Academy with 2 locations in Florida and president of Radiant Hands, a non-profit with a mission “To empower women and families in the North-Central Florida”.
- Zaid Shakir – Co-founder of Zaytuna College and one of it’s senior faculty members. Born Ricky Mitchell, he converted to Islam while serving in the U.S. Air Force in 1977. Shakir has frequently defended the terrorist actions of Hizballah and is prone to conspiracy theories. He is one of the speakers on a featured video promoting MPAC’s Safe Spaces Initiative.
- Abdalla Idris – A former President of ISNA, former board member of the North American Islamic Trust (NAIT) and and has served on the boards of a number of Muslim Brotherhood affiliated organizations.
- Muhammad Nur Abdullah – Former ISNA president and member of the Fiqh Council of North America (FCNA), a group the Global Muslim Brotherhood Daily Watch describes as an organization comprised of Islamic scholars associated with the Global Muslim Brotherhood which grew out of the activities of the Muslim Student Association (MSA) and later became affiliated with ISNA.
- Dalia Mogahed – Formerly a Faith Advisor to US President Obama, The IPT notes that she is “a tenacious defender of groups like the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) and the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA).” We reported on her scheduled June 2015 video appearance at the MSA National Retreat.
- Ihsan Bagby – A professor of Islamic Studies at the University of Kentucky, he is also General Secretary of the Muslim Alliance in North America (MANA). Bagby is a member of several U.S. Muslim Brotherhood organizations including the Fiqh Council of North America, the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA), and the Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR). The Global Muslim Brotherhood Daily Watch (GMBDW) reported that these groups of US Muslim organizations, will be part of formation of the new US Council of Muslim Organizations (USCMO).
- Hisham Al-Talib – Founding member and current president of International Institute of Islamic Thought (IIIT). Discover the Networks reports that Al-Talib was also the founder of the SAAR Foundation, which the FBI and the U.S. Customs agency believe was established to raise funds and launder money for international terrorist groups like Hamas, Hezbollah, Palestinian Islamic Jihad, and al Qaeda. In the 1970s, Al-Talib was a board member of the financial network Al Taqwa, which operated out of Switzerland and Leichtenstein, and which investigators believe is a financial backer of terrorist group the Muslim Brotherhood.
- Azhar Azeez – ISNA board member and former ISNA president, Azeez currently serves as the senior Vice President of Islamic Relief USA. According to GMBDW, Azzez has “Multiple Ties To US Muslim Brotherhood And Hamas Support Organizations.” In 2017 he spoke to India’s Jamaat-e-Islami Hind (JIH) during a visit to Hyderabad, India. ISNA posted an announcement of Azeez’s visit on its Facebook page. According to the Investigative Project on Terrorism (IPT), Jamaat-e-Islami is an Asian version of Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood. Its leaders advocate laws that criminalize blasphemy against Islam. Its constitution calls for “the reconstruction of society” and the formation of an Islamic State.
- Siraj Wahhaj – Former vice president of ISNA and the Imam of Masjid Al-Taqwa in Brookyn, New York. Wahhaj has also held positions with the following Muslim Brotherhood (MB) organizations: North American Islamic Trust (NAIT), the American Muslim Council (AMC) and the Muslim Alliance of North America (MANA). Wahhaj was an unindicted co-conspirator in the 1993 World Trade Center bombing. According to discoverthenetworks.org, Wahhaj advocates the replacement of the U.S. government with an Islamic Caliphate and on numerous occasions during Masjid Al-Taqwa’s early years, Wahhaj invited Omar Abdel-Rahman, leader of the terrorist organization known as the Islamic Group, to address his (Wahhaj’s) congregation as a guest preacher.
- Yasmin Mogahed – the GMBDW advises, “Yasmin Mogahed is also the sister of Dahlia Mogahed, formerly a Faith Advisor to US President Obama and close to Saudi-funded Georgetown Professor John Esposito, himself a long-time supporter of the Global Muslim Brotherhood. Yasmin Mogahed is a regular speaker on the Global Muslim Brotherhood speaking circuit.”
- Mohamed Magid – Former president of the Islamic Society of North America, and executive director of the All Dulles Area Muslim Society (ADAMS). He was appointed in 2011 by President Obama to the Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) Countering Violent Extremism Working Group. According to a 2012 PJ Media article by Patrick Poole, “Mohamed Magid is the Obama administration’s go-to guy for Muslim outreach and advise on international affairs and counterterrorism. ” Magid was also instrumental in having DHS erase from the “Countering Violent Extremism” curriculum, any suggestion that Muslim terrorism drew its inspiration from the laws and doctrines of Islam.
- John Esposito – A professor of Islamic Studies at Georgetown University. According to GMBDW, “Dr. John Esposito is a professor of International Affairs and Islamic Studies at Georgetown University. He is also the director of the Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Center for Muslim-Christian Understanding at Georgetown University. Esposito, a former U.S. State Department advisor, has espoused views consistent with Brotherhood doctrine and during the 1990’s was known for his claims that Islamic fundamentalism was, in fact, democratic and posed no threat to the U.S. Dr. Esposito has at least a dozen past or present affiliations with global Muslim Brotherhood/Hamas organizations including having served on the advisory board of the Institute of Islamic Political Thought in the U.K. headed by Azzam Tamimi, a leader in the U.K. Muslim Brotherhood and often described as a Hamas spokesman. “
COMMENTS/ANALYSIS: Lots of the “old guard” participating but a few new faces as the next generation takes over. There is little doubt that more “acronym organizations” will be created by them but the end goals will most likely be the same. Lessons have been learned over the last decade or so and expect the public faces to be leaning very far to paint very conservative positions.
*As a side note, prior to 2004, AYA was incorporated as the Islamic Academy of Florida (IAF), founded by then-Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) leader Sami al-Arian who was named by the US government in a 50-count indictment, as being a party to the raising of funds for PIJ.