American Muslim Report Condemns NYPD Surveillance
From Voice of America
by Adam Phillips, March 11, 2013
NEW YORK — A coalition of American Muslims delivered to New York City police headquarters Monday a report that alleges widespread ethnic profiling by the city police department’s counter-terrorism and surveillance programs. The report calls for enhanced legislative and judicial protection from what Muslims allege is unconstitutional spying.
A group of about 40 Muslim Americans representing The Muslim American Civil Liberties Coalition and other advocacy organizations gathered in downtown Manhattan to formally present a 51-page report called “Mapping Muslims: NYPD Spying and its Impact on American Muslims.”
Attorney Diala Shammas spearheads a City University of New York project to promote accountability and transparency within the New York City Police Department. She says police surveillance of Muslims has been “extremely invasive” since the September 11, 2001 attacks.
“We know that they’ve been sending informants into mosques, into places of worship,” said Shammas. “They’ve sent informants into Muslim student associations, into club rooms, into whitewater rafting trips, places that the NYPD has no business being.”
Shammas says no one knows the precise extent of the police surveillance program or its exact methods.
- The Muslim American Civil Liberties Coalition (MACLC) is a New York based group that came into existence sometime after 2007, primarily in response to the AP reports regarding the NYPD intelligence division program of monitoring mosques an Muslim student groups. MACLC is heavily influenced by CAIR-NY and the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University School of Law. According to a report by the Investigative Project on Terrorism (IPT), both are “organizations that have repeatedly refused to condemn Hamas and other Islamic terrorist groups or have blamed the FBI for fabricating Islamic terror plots.” Since the U.S. government found CAIR to be a Hamas support group, it would seem fairly obvious why MACLC’s controllers are disturbed by the NYPD monitoring. CAIR also has a clear history of working to mold law enforcement/national security in a way that does not offend Muslims, with effectiveness taking a backseat to political correctness.
- Attorney Diala Shamas worked for both Adalah, and B’Tselem, organizations focused on Palestinian issues. The NGO Monitor criticized these groups for inaccuracy and having an anti-Israel political agenda.
- Linda Sarsour is the coordinator of MACLC and also served as director of the Arab American Association of New York. Additional background featuring her statements/positions was complied by IPT. The Militant Islam Monitor, reported her links to Hamas with:
“In a 2004 article Sarsour revealed that Arab men pictured in an Arab newspaper recruiting suicide bombers for martyrdom were relatives and friends – one of them was her brother in law who is serving a 12 year sentence for his involvement with Hamas. Sarsour’s husband is facing deportation and she was “questioned by US authorities”.
- Muslim Students Association was formed by members of the Muslim Brotherhood. According to an IPT report:
… the Muslim Students Association (MSA) is the most visible and influential Islamic student organization in North America. As reflected in the extensive information presented in this dossier, MSA has gained legitimacy on American campuses as a benevolent collegiate faith club; however, under this moderate veneer MSA advances a different agenda among impressionable college students. Through conferences and events, publications, websites and other activities, MSA has disseminated and promoted militant Islamic ideologies on college and university campuses throughout North America.
A very interesting play book.
There have been a number of reported attempted terror attacks targeted for New York City since September 11, 2001 – all linked to radical Islamists, with many involving al Qaeda. A question that could be posed:
Would the NYPD be negligent in not instituting the surveillance program?
As one blogger put it, “NYC mohammadans upset they can’t conspire in secrecy“.
A New York Post editorial gets to the heart of the matter — the MACLC report calls for imams and other Muslim community leaders to “announce to your congregations or membership that informants will not be tolerated in your communities.” This contradicts the much reported claim by Islamist apologists that the Muslim community wants to cooperate with counter-terror efforts and expose those that work to radicalize Islam.
side note: Of course the political correctness spin would not be complete without having the media using such terms as “devastating” an “traumatized” as the below related articles demonstrate. Placing an image of the downtrodden can work wonders in the battle for the “mind” of the populace.
- NYPD surveillance had ‘devastating’ impact on Muslim communities: report (rawstory.com)
- Report: NYPD Spy Program Traumatized Muslim Communities (newamericamedia.org)
- The Frightening Effects of the NYPD’s ‘Mapping Muslims’ Program (theatlanticcities.com)